Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Death Ride: Bucket List Gets a Check Mark

Well....July 14, 2012, finally hit.  It was time to step up to the plate.  All the anticipation and anxiety would finally end.  Would I survive?  Would I crash and burn? Would I conquer with great success?

The Tour of the California Alps -- The Death Ride, was upon me.

For the past seven months, every pedal stroke I put toward a bike was for this day.  Planning, training, researching....To fail would be devastation.

Well.. I did it.  I survived, and it was an amazing experience.  Riding over car free roads in some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen.  Mile upon mile of leg burning climbs followed by 50 mph descents.  Surrounded by friends and bike-loving enthusiasts.  With the most perfect weather.  I couldn't have asked for a more prefect experience.
 
The sun rising from the east shedding light on our side of the Sierra as we climb Monitor Pass for the first time.


View south east from the eastern Sierra as we climb up over Monitor Pass for the second time.



 Topaz Lake in the distance to the east as the sun is rising in it's morning arch.


View up the east side of Ebbetts Pass. 



 Advertised as 130 mi. with 15,000' of climbing -- the longest and hardest ride I have completed to date.  12hrs and 20 minutes on the course.  9 hrs and 43 minutes of wheels rolling.



Edit: July 2014
This marks my 3rd anniversary celebrating the Death Ride. Here's are two YouTube videos I shot this year: Monitor Pass and Ebbett's Pass descents.



No comments:

Post a Comment