Sunday, November 29, 2015

Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) Turkey

Besides bikes, another one of my passions -- back yard grillin'!

I particularly like using the Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) that I built several years back after studying the UDS build thread at the BBQ Brethren website.


We're fortunate enough to still have Mom's house to visit for Turkey Day. As such, I've never had the opportunity to fix a turkey on my own.

Well, this year I decided to pick up a turkey and give it a try on my Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) (post Thanksgiving) -- just for fun -- no pressure to present something spectacular for the family.

While in Costco (big box store) I grabbed a basic Foster Farms turkey, 17 pounds at about 0.99 cents / pound.

Since this was my first turkey, I didn't want to try anything fancy. Didn't want to mess with brining.

After reading a few threads, I decided to just do a dry rub. Since I was using my UDS (with a flat lid) I needed to "spatchcock" the turkey in order for it to fit. Also a first.

Here are a few pics:
Spatchcocked -- removing the spine with regular ol' kitchen shears. Somewhat difficult, but manageable.



After spine removal, flip the bird over, position legs out to the side, and press down to slightly flatten.

Rubbed with a basic "Texas Style" rub I use on ribs or pork. Lifted the skin from the neck area and accessed all the way down to the drum sticks to put dry rub under the skin. Rubbed the underside and top with olive oil and then applied rub to the exterior.


After 2.5 hours on the UDS running at about 325 degrees F. until the thigh temp was about 165 degrees. Breast temp was a little higher than I wanted, but I think it turned out great. Turkey easily separated into leg/thigh quarters and wings.


No comments:

Post a Comment