Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Repairing Broken Dremel 395

I've had the Dremel 395 for most of my adult life it seems. It's been a life saver for a number of small projects over the years. I've used it to fashion small parts, clean up rough edges, sand, grind, cut... it does all sorts of helpful things. Most recently, I used it to cut a slot in a rusted allen bolt that had a stripped head. The slot allowed me to use a screw driver to finally free and remove the stubborn bolt.

Well, at the end of that task, the bit stopped turning. The motor would run and spin like you'd expect, but the bit would just sit there.

Sadly, I stared at the old tool, just then realizing how much I had used it over the years. Thinking to myself, "Well, it's been a good life for you Mr. Dremel. Time to move on. It's a disposable world now. You can always get a new one at the big box hardware store just a mile away."

But I hate that. The ol' Dremel and I have a history. I don't want a new one.

I did a quick google for something along the line of "my dremel won't turn" or whatever and within a minute I was like... Yeah, this can be fixed. Within another minute, the $6 part was on it's way to my door step.

Here's a small short tutorial on the repair.

Unscrew the nose piece, remove the wire tool hanger at the cable end, and remove the 6 small torx screws




Lift off the front of the Dremel case (no need to remove the motor assembly).


Observe the failed collar that connects the motor drive to the collet



New coupling (next to broken, old part) as received from Sears on-line ordering (they're available from many sources all over the internet).



Remove, replace and re-install


All good.

Estimated time: 5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment