Sunday, July 22, 2012

Today's Diet: Dirt and Anchor Steam

All the road bike training in preparation for the Death Ride made me miss dirt. With the Death Ride box checked, and the memory beginning to fade, I can get back to my roots and do something that I really love -- Cruising Mt. Tam on one of my vintage steel relics without a care in the world. I started in Mill Valley with a gentle climb up Railroad Grade to West Point Inn, then onward to the summit. Droping down to Pantol Station, I then grabbed the Coastal View singletrack downhill to the coast.
Northern California coastal beauty at it's finest.

I rolled through the Muir Beach area, then climbed back up to Pantol on Deer Flat fire rd. On the climb up, I ran into an old activist buddy from my younger days -- Mountain Bike Hall of Fame legend Michael Kelly. We chatted for quiet some time as we worked our way back up from Pantol to West Point. Michael is still going strong in the Mtb activist world -- working with IMBA and other national level groups. I can honestly say that mountain bikers would not have the access we currently enjoy if it were not for the efforts of this man.

MTB Hall of Fame - Michael Kelly

 After dropping down Railroad and back into Mill Valley (where all the beautiful people live), I indulged in one of my favorite post Tam ride adventures -- Parking at the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge, and riding into San Francisco to weave in and out of the locals playing in Crissy field and tourists trudging along the Embarcadero. I ended up grabbing a crab sandwich and an Anchor Steam at the wharf. Most awesome carefree day I've had in some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment