Sunday, August 19, 2012

CA Central Coast: Rides and Fish Tacos!

Recently enjoyed a short but sweet family get away to Cayucos CA, along the beautiful central California coast.

Just north of the gigantic Morro rock in Morro Bay, CA
Just south of San Simeon, CA and the Hearst Castle

Know the place?

Anyway... it was awesome.

If you go -- or even pass within 50 miles -- you must stop in at Ruddell's Smokehouse for a smoked fish taco. It's a little shack -- so small, you can't even eat inside. You have to grab your food and hope there's room on the few rickety tables outside... or walk across the street and sit on the beach.

Even if you're not hungry -- get a taco and take it with you. They're wrapped up pretty well and should hold up until you do get hungry.

I'm not exactly sure what's in there besides the smoked fish (you have several choices of smoked fish... and if you're there early enough, you might even have the option of smoked oysters). Looks like chopped lettuce (the fancy red stuff), onion, celery, apple (gives a nice little sweetness), and some powdery magic sprinkled on (maybe Old Bay?). So damn good!

 Git one! Ruddell's Smokehouse

(Here's a youtube video I found showing the place)


And of course I brought the road bike!

I was able to steal away for two road rides near by. Decent levels of climbing and distance -- enough to allow me evening cocktails and apps on the beach guilt free. That's all I'm ever after -- guilt free indulgence!

Day #1 Ride: Headed Northeast on Old Creek Rd right out of town. Climbed up and crossed over Hwy 46 (road becomes Santa Rosa Creek Rd on the other side of 46), climbed a bit more before downhilling into the town of Cambria, CA. Just a tip - Santa Rosa Creek Rd. is a little rough. I forgot to top-off my air pressure before heading out and ended up with a pinch flat after hitting a rough section. Once you hit Hwy 1 it's about 13 miles south back to Cayucos.
Day #2 Ride: Headed north on Hwy 1, then climbed east up 46 (about 10 miles of climbing) before downhilling southwest back to town on Old Creek Rd.
If you do these rides, you'll roll through Harmony. I was sad to learn that only 18 people live in Harmony. Really?

Both rides above head through beautiful country.

Had we stayed longer, I probably would have ridden north on Hwy 1 to San Simeon and the home of the famous Hearst Castle for an out-n-back ride. I think it's about 23 miles each way. I did this a few years ago.

A few things about Morro Bay...
I was craving some good fresh sea food -- particularly fresh, raw oysters. I headed down the road to Morro Bay and was referred to Giovanni's -- right down on the water near the harbor. They had a large selection of fresh fish. I grabbed a dozen fresh oysters and shucked them myself (I keep an oyster shucker tool in my truck -- just cuz'). I have to be honest, 3 of the 12 oysters were bad, and I threw them out. The rest were good though.
Giovanni's looks like a good place to grab lunch if you're down there walking around. You can walk up to the window and order all kinds of freshly cooked sea food items. They also serve bbq'd oysters right outside for $2 ea. or 3 for $5, and have all the sauces out to doctor 'em up.
We had a nice breakfast down in Morro Bay one morning at Frankie and Lola's. I'd give this place 2 thumbs up. Great menu and the food was awesome.
"Da Bomb"


Great trip... Just too short!!

Update Aug. 2014:
Added a new, longer loop to the mix. This will take you south from Cayucos, down to Morro Bay, then inland to SLO, and back to the coast at Pismo Beach. Great ride, with the exception of the headwind as you head northwest on Los Osos Valley Rd.



On this trip, I also opted to ride a previous loop in the opposite direction, here's what that looks like. I think this is the preferred direction. Although the climbing is tougher, you end up climbing the rough portions of the road (rather than descending the rough stuff) and when you finish the downhill, you're right back in Cayucos -- rather than dumping onto Hwy 1 for a 15 mile trip along the hwy.






No comments:

Post a Comment