Saturday, September 15, 2012

Tour De Fuzz (2012)

I made a last minute decision Friday night to log in another century. I traveled two hours north (leaving at 5am) in order to ride the Tour De Fuzz century. This century is a fund raiser for law enforcement agencies in Sonoma County.

I did this ride last year and thought it was one of the best centuries I've ever participated in. When it came up this year, I didn't want to miss it. This is the third year in a row that they've put this on. I've ridden the last two.

What makes this a great century:
 * Route -
The Northern CA wine country and geysers area is remarkably beautiful.

 * Support - 
Lots of friendly volunteers available every step of the way.  Want to challenge yourself?  The 4-mile Geysers hill climb is an optional timed event if you'd like to participate (I ended up 8th in my age group of 28, and 20th out of a group of 87 -- I'm a solid mid-packer! :-)

 * Food -
Nice breakfast spread before you even hit the road. Rest stops were nicely spaced and stocked with good cycling-specific products such as Clif Shots, shot blocks, GU's, chews, etc. in addition to the traditional bananas, cookies, nuts, PB&J sandwiches, bagels, baked mini potatoes (love those things!), etc.
Lunch included a nice selection of pre-made sandwiches along with an outstanding and healthy pasta salad. The post ride meal was over-the-top -- pulled bbq pork (and tons of it) along with BBQ chicken, potato salad, and free-flowing Lagunitas beer!

 * Entertainment -
Music, law enforcement demo's, silent auctions, raffle drawings, swimming pool, shower, etc.

 * Value -
Excellent route/scenery, support, great food, T-shirt. All adds up to be one of the finest centuries around.

No comments:

Post a Comment