Monday, October 10, 2016

Beef Back Ribs and Chuck Roast on the UDS

More experimenting with beef ribs today.

Picked up a rack of beef back ribs this weekend, along with a small chuck roast to play around with on the Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS).

Ribs:


Chuck Roast:



Used my Lonesome Dove Rub I made a few weeks back:

Lonesome Dove Game Rub (courtesy of chef Tim Love):

1 cup Guajillo chili powder
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup cumin, ground
1/4 cup rosemary, finely chopped
1/4 cup thyme leaves, finely chopped
3/4 cup black pepper, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup garlic powder


Ribs and roast all rubbed up:

I thought I'd shoot for the 3-2-1 method on the ribs, with the drum running around 225-250 degrees. After about 3.5 hrs on the drum, I pulled both items and wrapped them in foil and stuck them back on the drum. After an additional 2 hours, I pulled the ribs, removed the foil, and stuck them back on for another hour.

I left the chuck roast in the foil. I was shooting for an internal temp just over 200 degrees -- where you get the connective tissue break-down.

At about 7.5 hours total time, the chuck roast probe "went in like buttah" and was at the 200+ mark I was shooting for. The ribs, on the otherhand where not quite there. I decided to pull them anyway as the back ribs don't have a lot of meat, and I was concerned they might be drying out.

So, here's everything after 7.5 hours of cooking on the Ugly Drum Smoker:


Crisp bark on the outside, nice and juicy on the inside:


All plated up with a few mini potatoes I threw on there for a short time:


No comments:

Post a Comment